Working out on a treadmill is a popular way of choosing to shed all those extra calories. A treadmill has a lot of features that can help you in losing weight. In order to make use of the machine in an effective manner, you must know how to use it for getting the maximum advantage. If the right technique is not followed, you might end up hurting yourself. Your goal of losing weight shall not be accomplished either. If you do not know how to use it yet, here is an article that will help you. We have listed a few tips that will guide you in using the treadmill effectively. Let us get started with the article.
Tips to Lose Weight Effectively on a Treadmill:
The following are a few tips that are worth keeping in mind if you want to lose weight effectively while working out on a treadmill:
- Check the preset programs that are at your disposal. Depending on the type of workout you chose, you should set the treadmill to the program accordingly. Different programs can include cardio training, fitness test, warm-up, random hill, amongst others.
- It is important that before you get into your workout routine on a treadmill, you always complete your warm-up. Doing warm-up before starting your workout gives ample time to your body to adjust. If you miss this step, you will feel a lot more tired at the end of your session. You will also feel a lot more cramps. Give your body at least 2 to 3 minutes to try and adjust. Post that, you can start your normal workout.
- It is important that while you train, you always watch your step. If you keep your foot in the wrong direction, you will definitely end up falling. Thus, your aim will not be accomplished. Instead, you will experience pain and cramps.
- There is an option of the incline in your treadmill. If you are looking to lose weight using a treadmill effectively, remember to devote some time to workout on the inclined treadmill for atleast a few minutes. Running in an inclined direction is much more difficult and surely requires more hard work from you. Thus, to effectively lose weight, working out in an inclined treadmill is always beneficial.
- It is important that you stay self-disciplined and are able to keep going for more and more. Keep increasing your speed and incline percentage. It is important to push yourself while you are working out on a treadmill.
- Not many people pay attention to this but is it imperative that you are dressed comfortably. Wearing the right clothes and shoes will help you in staying comfortable and focused while you exercise. Stay hydrated as well. While it is not recommended to keep drinking water or energy juice in between the workout, you can sip small amounts of water whenever you do feel the need. But keep in mind to not go overboard with it.
The following are a few additional tips that will help you in losing weight effectively if you choose to work out on a treadmill.
High-Intensity Interval Training or HIIT:
One effective way to lose weight while training on a treadmill is to indulge yourself in HIIT or what is called the High-Intensity Interval Training. This is one of the best ways to lose all those extra calories when you have a short amount of time in your hand to do so. As the name suggests, in this type of work out you work out a little extra harder for a shorter period. In intervals, you are allowed to take rest. For example, after the initial warm-up, you run for around 30 seconds or so at a speed of 10 mph. For the next 60 seconds, you walk at a slower speed of say 4 mph. These alternate periods of high and low-speed workouts should be continued for the entire session of the activity. Thus, in this way you can reduce a lot of calories. Thus, it helps you in losing weight to a great extent.
The Fat Burning Zone:
It will be helpful that you are aware of the heart rate that helps to lose fat for your body. The fat-burning heart rate is the rate of the heart in which your body gets rid of most of the unwanted fats. If you maintain this rate, you can rest assured that the workout on the treadmill will be really effective. A few things to remember here is that you should have a heart rate monitor handy. You will, in this way be aware of the heart rate that you have reached during the workout. On intervals, you can adjust the treadmill to incline of around 2 percent and walk on that for a minute or so. Start running on the treadmill until you eventually reach the heart burning rate of yours. Then jog for some time before you finally try to cool down and wrap up your workout routine.
Try Different Workouts to Avoid Injuries and Boredom:
Well, as per a few experts, you should switch between routines for more effective results. This will not only be more effective in reducing weight, but it will also go a long way in helping to prevent any kind of boredom. This, in turn, would mean that you will be effectively able to exercise and not get bored. Your efficiency will increase.
We hope that after reading the above article, you will be in a better position to understand the different uses of a treadmill. It will also help you in using it effectively so that you can lose weight. Be sure to use all the above methods the next time you work out on that machine.